Planet Kembel
Planet Kembel
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Ian Levine Doctor Who Discussion Forum
 Loose Cannon Reconstructions - Official Forum
 Somebody Should Contact Ebay here....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ant
Junior Time Traveller

97 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  12:00:32  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

Amongst others...

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Stephen Neve
Time Traveller

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  16:55:45  Show Profile Send Stephen Neve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ant

Amongst others...

Why bother! Ebay will do f*** all about it as usual.

There will one day be 96 episodes missing.
Go to Top of Page

The Black Guardian
Seasoned Time Traveller

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  17:02:46  Show Profile Send The Black Guardian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ant

Amongst others...

The only way ebay would take any action against the seller is if the official copyright holder complains. Since there is a possibility that the BBC might legally also go after whoever made the recon, it is probably not a good idea to notify them about this. The last thing we would want is for them to close Loose Cannon down and we would lose the recons for good. If somebody is going to be threatened with legal proceedings for making adipose dolls, which has happened in the past, the same could happen to Loose Cannon if this gets to be a big deal.

There used to be a way to notify other buyers about the items they were bidding on. I used to tell them that they could get the recons for free at the other websites, and they were grateful for the notification as they stopped bidding at that point. Unfortunately, ebay has made it impossible to contact other buyers now.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen Neve
Time Traveller

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2012 :  17:13:11  Show Profile Send Stephen Neve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Guardian

quote:
Originally posted by Ant

Amongst others...

The only way ebay would take any action against the seller is if the official copyright holder complains. Since there is a possibility that the BBC might legally also go after whoever made the recon, it is probably not a good idea to notify them about this. The last thing we would want is for them to close Loose Cannon down and we would lose the recons for good. If somebody is going to be threatened with legal proceedings for making adipose dolls, which has happened in the past, the same could happen to Loose Cannon if this gets to be a big deal.

There used to be a way to notify other buyers about the items they were bidding on. I used to tell them that they could get the recons for free at the other websites, and they were grateful for the notification as they stopped bidding at that point. Unfortunately, ebay has made it impossible to contact other buyers now.

Another way is to put in a ridiclous bid like 1 million pounds and then don't pay so the seller cannot get a buyer.

Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  06:22:55  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason Underwater Menace showed up in particular is because there's an original digital copy of it semi-widely available on the net. As much as everyone loves these (including all the newly released youtube ones), it does indeed bring up LC's original motivation for only releasing VHS-quality recons. While many of us feel that this policy is somewhat antiquated, here we see a specific story being targeted for BS like this likely because of the quality of a release.

A damn shame.

Edit: So I looked at the seller's other auctions right after writing this post. With all sorts of stories being sold like Power of the Daleks (as of now, probably the lowest quality non-updated LC recon, though still wonderful), my theory is likely wrong regarding this story being targeted here. Still, this is the exact thing they worry about. Power's auction is at 21 pounds already. Gross.

Edited by - jtowne on 02 Jun 2012 06:27:51
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  06:44:08  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The underwater menace was not singled out. If you look at his other auctions he lists others including power of the daleks (which Ive never seen a good quality copy of) and the ice warriors which is a bbc dvd. My concern is that he is selling it, regardless of the quality, which I believe is poor.

Without suggesting how LC should handle it, I think this should have been reported to LC off list so they can handle it without this guy getting publicity.

Looking at his completed auctions, it doesnt look like he has any duplicate copies of this or other illegal videos. He did auction off Dr who paperbacks etc. which might mean he is selling a dr who collection which happened to include these.

Hopefully it's just a one time thing.

Edited by - gad4 on 02 Jun 2012 06:49:49
Go to Top of Page

iamthedoctor
Junior Time Traveller

65 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2012 :  18:06:52  Show Profile Send iamthedoctor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Neve
Another way is to put in a ridiclous bid like 1 million pounds and then don't pay so the seller cannot get a buyer.

Yeah and then you would get a warning from ebay for not paying the seller. People arent going to do that and risk their account being banned.

Besides which how is people selling it on ebay any different from people selling them on ioffer like loads of them do.
Go to Top of Page

Stephen Neve
Time Traveller

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  17:13:49  Show Profile Send Stephen Neve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iamthedoctor

quote:

Yeah and then you would get a warning from ebay for not paying the seller. People arent going to do that and risk their account being banned.

Besides which how is people selling it on ebay any different from people selling them on ioffer like loads of them do.

Sounds like your trying to defend the person selling recons on ebay.

Go to Top of Page

Stephen Neve
Time Traveller

United Kingdom
233 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  17:17:45  Show Profile Send Stephen Neve a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is even worse is that this seller appears to be a Doctor Who fan concidering the amount of stuff he has been selling.

Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  21:14:17  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I think the points were that 1) Bidding a lot of money and not paying would do absolutely nothing to the seller, who would simply re-post the item, leaving you with terrible feedback. and 2) Why isn't anyone then complaining about some site called ioffer?

My personal answer to the second is because I've never heard of it. Obscurity is how they get away with it. I'm willing to bet that such a site has more lax DVD-R rules than Ebay (tries to) have. If it increases in popularity, I'm sure that will change.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2012 :  22:50:38  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im thinking that the more talk being done here, the more publicity these people are going to get.

I recommend this tread be locked and removed.

Go to Top of Page

iamthedoctor
Junior Time Traveller

65 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2012 :  18:56:14  Show Profile Send iamthedoctor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

What are you crazy? Clearly pointing out I wouldnt want to see someone on here do that and get their account banned just to protect a recon from being sold.

Yes its wrong what a seller has done but is it really worth risking your own account there. It wont do nothing to the seller they will just keep selling them where as you get banned. A lot of people use ebay to buy stuff legally.

As for ioffer suprised the BBC hasent just shut the site down they have far too many people on there selling myth makers vhs copies as well as the full dr who range on copied disks and interviews taped from the tv. If anything thats worse than ebay.
Go to Top of Page

Red Barron
Junior Time Traveller

Australia
83 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  14:08:39  Show Profile Send Red Barron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too be honest somebody should be running a quick daily check at 2/e to see what stuff is listed.

I've just found a load of stuff and bought them all on BIN with a dummy account, ho ho!

Updated: The person who is selling them has browsed this forum and spotted what I've posted. Hello Sara!

"All forum members are equal but some forum members are more equal than others."

Damn right

Edited by - Red Barron on 20 Jun 2012 23:43:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Planet Kembel © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2