Planet Kembel
Planet Kembel
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Ian Levine Doctor Who Discussion Forum
 Loose Cannon Reconstructions - Official Forum
 Wishing for some new LC recons :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  03:19:43  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears we are now complete up to savages.
If were lucky, potd is only 5 episodes away. ( big smile)
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

Mosif

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  04:23:30  Show Profile Send Mosif a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy of potd is virtually unwatchable. It would be great to get a clean copy. The new version would be even better!
Go to Top of Page

Frankymole
Time Traveller

173 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  10:05:55  Show Profile Send Frankymole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig Williams

What was the problem with the Myth Makers file?

As per Gar535's comment on the channel: "watching your upload of Myth Makers Ep 4 (Horse of Destruction) part 1, and comparing it against my tape of the episode, I found that your uploaded part 1 cuts off about 3 minutes from where it should join with your uploaded ep 4 part 2 - the minutes include a long conversation between Vicki and Troilus, and Odysseus and the Doctor climbing out of the horse. Can you re-upload Horse of Destruction part 1 so it is complete and properly joins up with part 2?"

Edited by - Frankymole on 19 Jan 2013 10:06:48
Go to Top of Page

hawkeye pierce

23 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  13:27:57  Show Profile Send hawkeye pierce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rather chuffed. My already horrid transfered to computer MPEG versions were made intentional worserer by me compressing the quality of each file even further so a mass of them could fit on 2 CD discs.

Now I since have an external hard drive I was very keen on getting back to decent quality. My old Savages and Smugglers really were quite awful. LOL
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  13:53:47  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not expecting a masterpiece, but hopefully if we get something with fair quality sound and fair quality video it will hold me over until the new one comes out.

Its one of the two oldest LC that havent been updated. :)

Edited by - gad4 on 19 Jan 2013 16:07:13
Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  03:34:53  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeye pierce

Whats the deal with a new Marco Polo? I take it incorporating the since found telesnaps. Is that really a Loose Cannon creation?

quote:
Originally posted Derek Handley
33 Crusade
34 Wheel
35 Web
36 Toymaker
37 Reign
38 Enemy
39 Marco

Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  07:04:54  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When jtowne posted that list, it just reminds me how much we really have to be thankful for.

So many series, like Out of the Unknown, Adam Adamant, etc. don't even have audios existing for each episode.
We are fortunate to have all the audios, lots of photos and telesnaps, clips, and recons that just keep getting better and better.

I know I've said this before, but as we sit here enjoying these masterpieces, sometimes we aren't thinking about the many man hours selflessly put into these by many to make this a reality so I wanted to thank everyone in the Loose Cannon world for dedicating their time and efforts in these amazing non profit shows and letting them know I am remembering and appreciating their sacrifice as I enjoy them.

When I was a kid I would read the books to try to get the feel of these shows. Now I feel, through the dedication of many, I can get a closer feel to what others have experienced in the 1960s for which Im eternally grateful. While Im excited anticipating what power will be like, as technology advances, the mind wonders what we might be seeing 10-20 years from now, if God willing, we're still alive and improvements continue.

While its a shame that so many are lost, thank you for allowing us to have a feel for these masterpieces.

Go to Top of Page

TimM
Junior Time Traveller

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  21:04:14  Show Profile Send TimM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes the future will be interesting - but personally I think it will only really be my "cup of tea" if it moves closer to the original ( as far as we can judge the originals to have been ).

I love the LC recons but have reservations about some of the CGI - sometimes it works great eg DMP
& most of the the Skaro scenes in Evil - but at other times the texture does not feel right;
eg the CGI works well in the "Evil..." skaro scenes because the dalek corridors & rooms - ie the sets - were quite minimalist & sort of metallic & artificial looking (in a good way); the CGI look/movement thus looks quite at home in this setting.

However in the scenes in Maxtible's laborotary the 2 textures don't quite gel ( although I appreciate the immense efort & good motivation & great skill of those involved ) - because of the more human/natural environment :

I realise that the CGI in question is an attempt towards an ideal; & eventually perhaps highly authentic-to-the-period textures in all scenes will be possible ( & a recon is a great place to practice towards such an end ).
Its just that until something nearer to that is possible; in an ideal world I would actually prefer to just have the still telesnaps / composites etc instead of moving CGI in those scenes where textures look - currently - somewhat out of place.
But of course if possible with the best picture & sound quality !
( I should stress I'm just expressing a personal aesthetic - its great that recon-makers express their creativity in whatever way they wish to )

I'm not a killjoy ( I hope! ) & I don't expect 100% authenticity -
its more of a matter of being ( re the texture & atmospheric details; ) as close to the essential picture/sound/movement qualitys of the original as possible
( which LC - like the RT for the classic Who DVDS - is most of the time ).

So I suppose I'm a bit scared that the recons of the future might perhaps inadvertently move away from the original textures, via CGI movement especially - unlike the older more telesnap based recons which - although lacking as much movement - in many ways actually convey more of the original feel & texture of the originals.

Of course re future recons of some years hence; I'm quite happy if there are both types - its great to experiment & people like different things after all - its just it would be a shame if there were only to be recons based primarily in a not-really gelling with the original material, mode; but no longer ones where that texture is truly at one in spirit & feel with the originals.

I'm not trying to be overly critical just to put forward an aesthetic point of view ( I'm guessing I may be in a minority ) - & of course CGI movement with consistently very authentic to the period texture hopefully will develop; along with a continuation of people who want that authentic feel ( rather than just those who are more fascinated by some sort of more obviously hybrid quality ).

For similar reasons I prefer the LC recons to the animated BBC Invasion ( nice though that is & the Reign animation looks like it will be even better; but the same will still apply most probably - ie telesnaps etc have more of the original texture, essential image quality & atmosphere whatever other merits the animation may have )

Re present LC recons I must also stress that most of LC's effects do admirably have that authentic to the texture/spirit of the originals quality
eg the use of smoke effects on screen for example, & the superb bits where live-action is used ie such as the Doctor with dalek bit & Victoria in the mansion corridors ( both from Evil ); or those sublime recreated chumblies from
Galaxy 4 :
So much fantastic work that has given me probably literally hundreds of hours of pleasure;
& has given a similar pleasure to everyone else who appreciates & is truly thrilled by LC's exciting work.
Go to Top of Page

Mosif

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  03:33:16  Show Profile Send Mosif a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope el doctorio will be able to finish uploading the smugglers. The recons have been great.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  06:05:02  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mosif: looking at the dates I think he took the weekend off last week also. Im hoping for his return Monday. :)

Tim.. I think we both agree that we appreciate the fine quality and respect that LC has shown. Movement over subtitles helps me follow it better, but my intention was to share appreciation for what they did not critique it. I believe, as technology advances, things will increase in quality and will be able to look even more realistic.
Go to Top of Page

Mosif

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  07:04:20  Show Profile Send Mosif a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having clean copies of these recons has been like watching them for the first time. Many thanks to everyone. I especially enjoyed the new Marco Polo as the old color version always seems strange to me. Both versions are great but the b/w version seems more natural.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2013 :  15:19:14  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clean copies are definitely amazing. Two stories that I have weak audio on are coming up (POTD and Highlanders) Its amazing that we're about 2/3 through the entire set.

I definitely love the Marco Polo update, but, to me, both versions have their charm. I love how they made new intros and footage with Mark Eden for the original. Also since most of the photos were originally in vivid color, if we were looking at a clean copy from eldoctorio, we might have a stronger appreciation for the colour recon as colours tend to be affected more on tape.

With the arrival of the telesnaps, it made more sense to go back to b/w.

Keep in mind that while we are used to seeing Hartnell in b/w, this gives us a slight insight as to what it would have been like if they used a colour camera on the set. If eldoctorio decided to post this one, I would be very interested to see what it would look like as a youtube video.

Edited by - gad4 on 21 Jan 2013 15:21:30
Go to Top of Page

TimM
Junior Time Traveller

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2013 :  10:53:37  Show Profile Send TimM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite right gad4 re the colour on vhs tapes - & reds do particularly badly!

The colour Marco Polo is very nice ( for me its good as a 'one of' ) because, as you say, it gives an idea of how it might have looked using colour tape - & also obviously an interesting recreation of how it would have looked in the studio on the actual recording days ( in a way that just looking at the photos without the soundtrack doesn't do to the same degree ).

I generally much prefer the aesthetic look & feel of black & white Who to colour Who -
& so probably wouldn't want to see all the other missing adventures in colour ( if that was ever technically achievable ) - but as a 'one of' it is highly enjoyable - I've watched it several times - & an amazing piece of work & creativity by the LC team.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  05:14:33  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Tim. Great experiment and if eldoctorio decided to post it, I would be very interested in seeing a hq colour Marco Polo.

BTW. Smugglers is now completed. Ready to go into 10th Planet 4 and Power of the Daleks :)

Edited by - gad4 on 23 Jan 2013 05:15:03
Go to Top of Page

The Black Guardian
Seasoned Time Traveller

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  07:47:22  Show Profile Send The Black Guardian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gad4

I agree with you Tim. Great experiment and if eldoctorio decided to post it, I would be very interested in seeing a hq colour Marco Polo.

BTW. Smugglers is now completed. Ready to go into 10th Planet 4 and Power of the Daleks :)

Can't he just continue with The Power of the Daleks? There are other Tenth Planet recons of episode 4 on youtube already.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  09:33:39  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its just one episode bro..whatever he decides, Im cool with, but to be perfectly frank, many would appreciate having it.
Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  13:53:35  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be quite surprised if TP4 was uploaded. Loose Cannon's position has been, for years, that it is discontinued due to the BBC selling a recon (which will be on the Tenth Planet DVD, btw). Honestly, aside from the border, the BBC one is much nicer. Cleaned up telesnaps from better scans. But to be fair, it is based on LC's own telesnap placement. I'm sure LC could blow it out of the water these days, but we all know they've come a long way from the first few (impressive for their time) recons.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  15:57:24  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am content either way.

I understand that if eldoctorio posted it, it would be merely for completion and not because of its quality. Also, I think 2ent view theirs simply as a placeholder to sell the other 3 episodes.

It would be interesting if LC would consider updating it if 2ent decided to retire theirs for an animated one. Only time will answer those questions :)
Go to Top of Page

Craig Williams
Time Traveller

179 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  18:24:26  Show Profile Send Craig Williams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From reading between the lines of a Richard Bignell post on Roobarbs a while back, I'd say 2e would include the VHS recon AND a new animation.
Go to Top of Page

Craig Williams
Time Traveller

179 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  18:25:43  Show Profile Send Craig Williams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashfall

quote:

quote:

Episode 5 of which story?

Fury. Anyone got a copy to upload?

You must be logged in to see this link.

Thank you for this, but is there any chance you could reupload in 480dpi??? Sorry for being a pain.
Go to Top of Page

ashfall

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  23:59:43  Show Profile Send ashfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ashfall

quote:

quote:

Episode 5 of which story?

Fury. Anyone got a copy to upload?

Thank you for this, but is there any chance you could reupload in 480dpi??? Sorry for being a pain.

It's the exact same MP4 from ElDoctorio, and is 480x360 @ 25fps.
Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  01:35:37  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Youtube hosts several different resolutions. I'll upload the 640x480 fury 5 later.
Go to Top of Page

ashfall

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  03:57:34  Show Profile Send ashfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jtowne

Youtube hosts several different resolutions. I'll upload the 640x480 fury 5 later.

Not sure why I nabbed the MP4 at lower resolution than the 640x480 FLV on that one. Momentary lapse of sanity I guess! I'm glad you have it for us.
Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  05:26:48  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
htt p://depositfiles .com/files/r2cghlxsw

Also, keep in mind that when we re-up to youtube it's re-encoded and we lose quality. Everyone is best off archiving the exact 640x480 flv files from eldoctorio (for fury I only have my divx conversions) if they want to keep them for later uploading. Should anything happen to this youtube channel, we should be able to help other fans in a way similar to how dub sites do so, as long as enough of us have the (essentially) second generation flv files.

Edited by - jtowne on 24 Jan 2013 21:57:04
Go to Top of Page

Craig Williams
Time Traveller

179 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  07:41:26  Show Profile Send Craig Williams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys - appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Frankymole
Time Traveller

173 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  13:09:28  Show Profile Send Frankymole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the YouTube videos that have out-of-sync sound, this helpful information was provided on how to fix them (if you're downloading/recording the episodes):
quote:
Originally posted by Dr John Smith on GB

There are a few sound sync issues with the new Myth Makers ep 4 part 1 upload and I've also found the same on most parts of Daleks' Masterplan, with the audio on all of those running slightly late compared to the video; everything else uploaded is fine though.

I've been tidying those ones up in Avidemux and thought I'd post the following timings in case it's of use to anyone. That program uses milliseconds to adjust the audio, but I've also put what it should be adjusted by in frames if you're using something else - in all cases that's the amount the audio needs to be moved back to match up with the picture.

Myth ep4 part 1: -2550 ms (66/ 67 frames)
DMP 1 part 1: correctly in sync
DMP 1 part 2: -200 ms (5 frames)
DMP 2 part 1: -200 ms (5 frames)
DMP 2 part 2: -200 ms (5 frames)
DMP 3 part 1: -200 ms (5 frames)
DMP 3 part 2: -300 ms (7 or 8 frames)
DMP 4 part 1: -280 ms (7 frames)
DMP 4 part 2: -400 ms (10 frames)
DMP 6 part 1: correctly in sync
DMP 6 part 2: correctly in sync
DMP 7 part 1: -200 ms (5 frames)
DMP 7 part 2: -200 ms (5 frames)
DMP 8 part 1: -200 ms (5 frames)
DMP 8 part 2: -200 ms (5 frames)
DMP 9 part 1: -300 ms (7 or 8 frames)
DMP 9 part 2: -250 ms (6 frames)
DMP 11 part 1: -300 ms (7 or 8 frames)
DMP 11 part 2: -300 ms (7 or 8 frames)
DMP 12 part 1: -300 ms (7 or 8 frames)
DMP 12 part 2: -200 ms (5 frames)

That's all working from the original DMP uploads, I don't know whether the timings are true of the re-uploaded couple of parts of it or if those are now running correctly. If not, try the above.

That seemed to put everything pretty much back in sync compared to my dubbed copies and any moving clips or Dalek speech in those sections. Hope that helps!

Go to Top of Page

Frankymole
Time Traveller

173 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  20:23:54  Show Profile Send Frankymole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the new mega site is up, why not give it a go

Part 6 is also complete in ElDoctorio's uploads. He only has the first 9'51".

Edited by - Frankymole on 24 Jan 2013 20:24:39
Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2013 :  21:58:08  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frankymole

quote:

Well, the new mega site is up, why not give it a go

Part 6 is also complete in ElDoctorio's uploads. He only has the first 9'51".

Hah. I attempted to use the new "mega" site but it stalls when trying to upload. Forgot to delete that text.

If you meant to say "incomplete", am quite certain I uploaded part 6 a few pages back.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  00:00:29  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eldoctorio hasn't posted in the last couple days. Hopefully the questions about what comes next hasn't put a damper on his efforts.
Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2013 :  00:35:33  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doubtful. Though someone on "the other" forum posted a horrendously rude comment about the wait. Smells of being intentional/obvious trolling, though.

He may well be looking into what exactly is being picked up as copyright in the end of Fury to avoid further similar complications.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Planet Kembel © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2