Planet Kembel
Planet Kembel
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Ian Levine Doctor Who Discussion Forum
 Loose Cannon Reconstructions - Official Forum
 Wishing for some new LC recons :(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  01:22:47  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only after the DVD release, but well after I think. Coming out with a recon even a short while later, utilizing material from that DVD may not be wise. Another hurdle for Galaxy 4 will be cleaning up a better audio source than the LC11 material (what was used on the BBC release cannot be used by Loose Cannon).

quote:

Is that *officially* Loose Cannon work? And if it is, why isn't it *officially* released on the site on VHS?

Following the failed attempts (Levine-mediated, I believe) of pitching these recons to the BBC, there were legally relevant reasons for not distributing those recons through the standard channels. As much as we love seeing these, the legal/financial security of the folks who have done all this great work for free, as a hobby, is a priority.
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

bige
Time Traveller

Australia
224 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  07:55:45  Show Profile Send bige a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So basically its caught up in a web of legal mumbo-jumbo. Such a shame, I don't see why they just didn't simply put it out on the VHS as soon as it was done, things were fine as they were.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  17:32:12  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its kinda worked out for us because we ended up getting to see some really high quality stuff leaked on youtube without any involvement from LC. If they continued as they were, eldoctorio might not have been tempted to post them.
Go to Top of Page

Another Ian
Time Traveller

United Kingdom
983 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2012 :  21:01:09  Show Profile Send Another Ian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iamthedoctor
I did report him to the police and they said they would look into it so not sure if they contacted him or not. Why he didnt just send them in one bag ive no idea why he wanted to do one bag for 1st another bag for 2nd and a third bag for the 8th doctor adventures.

Let me get this straight, you contacted the police after someone didn't send you illegal copies?

Shove that in your canon.
Go to Top of Page

Pip
Time Traveller

Canada
757 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2012 :  03:17:38  Show Profile  Visit Pip's Homepage Send Pip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bige

So basically its caught up in a web of legal mumbo-jumbo. Such a shame, I don't see why they just didn't simply put it out on the VHS as soon as it was done, things were fine as they were.

Because, as had been the issue for a while, the 'distribute on VHS' model wasn't working as lots of people no longer had VHS players.

Given how they still have to toe the line with the BBC (since the recons are flat out breaches of the BBC copyright), exploring new avenues for legal distribution was essential which led to the iTunes option. Although the iTunes plan fell through at the time, it's something I would hope they're still working on and having a large catalogue of unreleased recons would be a good boost whenever something finally happens.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2012 :  01:34:04  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its best to stay off the radar screen.. As a friend of mine always says.."you dont poke the bear" :)
Go to Top of Page

bige
Time Traveller

Australia
224 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2012 :  05:13:53  Show Profile Send bige a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gad4

I think its best to stay off the radar screen.. As a friend of mine always says.."you dont poke the bear" :)

I'm gonna get that framed.
Go to Top of Page

iamthedoctor
Junior Time Traveller

65 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  14:12:13  Show Profile Send iamthedoctor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Another Ian

quote:
Originally posted by iamthedoctor
I did report him to the police and they said they would look into it so not sure if they contacted him or not. Why he didnt just send them in one bag ive no idea why he wanted to do one bag for 1st another bag for 2nd and a third bag for the 8th doctor adventures.

Let me get this straight, you contacted the police after someone didn't send you illegal copies?

Its still fraud at the end of the day! Paying for something he didnt send.
Go to Top of Page

jtowne
Junior Time Traveller

90 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  20:13:54  Show Profile Send jtowne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're also admitting to the police that you've purchased pirated material. They're not going to care about either end of some little sale, but the point is that nothing in this story is particularly wise.
Go to Top of Page

TimM
Junior Time Traveller

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  20:47:32  Show Profile Send TimM a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How is it known that LC aren't releasing them in the old vhs form because of legal
problems arising from the attempt to release them on i-tunes??!

The last statement by an LC member was that they were waiting until extras
were completed to their level of satisfaction :

Perhaps this is still the case ( they do have very high standards! ).

If Russ or other LC reconstructors
( or anyone who knows them well & has been definitely informed on this issue )
is reading this perhaps someone could please say what the exact situation is on this
( from the horse's mouth if you like ):

ie is it just a long gap until a vhs or some other form of LC-sanctioned release
is available ?
( one that isn't too hard to get a copy of - ie for those like me who
don't like watching stuff on a computer & don't know how to transfer youtube bits to watch on TV & don't have decent computer access a lot of the time to do this if they could! )

Or is it likely this will never happen for the foreseeable future?

If the latter is it because of the i-tunes thing?

I realise those who've already commented that the i-tunes thing has effectively stopped the old-style releases may have been directly informed on these points - its just that I'd like to know for definite in case that's not
the case.

If no-one wishes to comment at this time that's fine of course -
this is only intended as a respectful request for info if people are in
a position to give it - & most importantly are happy & glad to do so.

If so - then Thank you & if not also many Thanks for having read this.

Best wishes to Russ & everyone,

Tim M

Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  21:04:40  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My understanding is the LC have been working on several recons and because of how things are parallel-tracking, they have several that are "mostly" done, but no more that are completely done at the moment...all of them wait for one thing or another.

"There will always be 97 missing episodes of Doctor Who"
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2012 :  06:24:31  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in the meantime, i appreciate eldoctorio very much :)

(hope he returns soon)
Go to Top of Page

xylok b
Seasoned Time Traveller

United Kingdom
1719 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  18:02:51  Show Profile  Visit xylok b's Homepage Send xylok b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just searching online and i found some CGI from galaxy 4 , with a CGI Rill, Vicki and Chumblie, is this a Loose cannon Galaxy 4 mrk 2 ?

My destiny is in the stars, and to see the day when all 97 missing eps of Doctor Who and Shada are recons and or animations on dvd!
Go to Top of Page

xylok b
Seasoned Time Traveller

United Kingdom
1719 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  18:04:36  Show Profile  Visit xylok b's Homepage Send xylok b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

My destiny is in the stars, and to see the day when all 97 missing eps of Doctor Who and Shada are recons and or animations on dvd!
Go to Top of Page

Shadow
Time Traveller

Guadeloupe
521 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  19:27:44  Show Profile Send Shadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It'll be from the unused Galaxy 4 cutdown recon that was originally done for The Time Meddler DVD.
Go to Top of Page

xylok b
Seasoned Time Traveller

United Kingdom
1719 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  19:40:31  Show Profile  Visit xylok b's Homepage Send xylok b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad that there's so many projects that will never see the light of day. Apparently they re filmed the part where Vicki cuts Stevens hair

Go to Top of Page

xylok b
Seasoned Time Traveller

United Kingdom
1719 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  22:50:46  Show Profile  Visit xylok b's Homepage Send xylok b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that makes me wonder is that these people got a DVD witht he galaxy 4 recon on and it also had a re-filmed sequence where Vicki cuts Stevens hair used on the same 8mm camera the original clip was taken on. Makes me wonder if this is a Loose Cannon production in the works

Go to Top of Page

Pip
Time Traveller

Canada
757 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  06:12:19  Show Profile  Visit Pip's Homepage Send Pip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xylok b

The only thing that makes me wonder is that these people got a DVD witht he galaxy 4 recon on and it also had a re-filmed sequence where Vicki cuts Stevens hair used on the same 8mm camera the original clip was taken on. Makes me wonder if this is a Loose Cannon production in the works

They're talking about the 8mm clip which already exists - it pans across the console and shows Vicki cutting Steven's hair in the background...
Go to Top of Page

xylok b
Seasoned Time Traveller

United Kingdom
1719 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  12:44:30  Show Profile  Visit xylok b's Homepage Send xylok b a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wish we could see this recon , online or on iTunes , still don't know how these people saw it !

Go to Top of Page

Shadow
Time Traveller

Guadeloupe
521 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  15:16:06  Show Profile Send Shadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They just watched the old recon.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  17:02:07  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wheres the footage? I only see stills on the page.
Go to Top of Page

bige
Time Traveller

Australia
224 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  08:40:02  Show Profile Send bige a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, how many recons actually are completed/in the works and not available from the website as of now? I've found The Enemy of the World and The Wheel In Space by LC on YouTube so far.
Go to Top of Page

Pip
Time Traveller

Canada
757 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  12:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Pip's Homepage Send Pip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow

They just watched the old recon.

No they didn't as they make the point they watched a new recon with CGI Chumblies - the old recon had specially-filmed models.
Go to Top of Page

gna530
Junior Time Traveller

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  21:15:56  Show Profile Send gna530 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wait, how many recons actually are completed/in the works and not available from the website as of now? I've found The Enemy of the World and The Wheel In Space by LC on YouTube so far.

Web of Fear, and Reign of Terror are up as well (search for ElDoctorio)....I believe Marco Polo and the Crusade are also completed but not on YouTube yet...and Power of the Daleks and the Massacre are in the works.
Go to Top of Page

bige
Time Traveller

Australia
224 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  09:25:09  Show Profile Send bige a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gna530

quote:

Web of Fear, and Reign of Terror are up as well (search for ElDoctorio)....I believe Marco Polo and the Crusade are also completed but not on YouTube yet...and Power of the Daleks and the Massacre are in the works.

So I'm guessing once the extras are done, they'll b released all together as a big prezzie after the 3-year absence.
Go to Top of Page

gad4
Time Traveller

794 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  14:11:32  Show Profile Send gad4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont have a crystal ball.. but my advice is to go to youtube and enjoy them there.
Go to Top of Page

bige
Time Traveller

Australia
224 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  11:16:14  Show Profile Send bige a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gad4

I dont have a crystal ball.. but my advice is to go to youtube and enjoy them there.

I'm not expecting you 2, just my honest speculation.
Go to Top of Page

bige
Time Traveller

Australia
224 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  14:31:41  Show Profile Send bige a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the LC recon for The Wheel In Space, and I'm blown away. LC have breathed new life into this story, as if bringing it back to life after 45 years. But when it came to part 1 of episode 5, the BBC had apparently blocked it due to copyright infringements. I mean, why should they block it if they are offering no other alternative to see this episode??? Oh yeah, just block everything Doctor Who related on Youtube, brilliant!
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  14:52:24  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The BBC certainly has the right to block any copyright infringements they're aware of. Indeed. if they're made aware of infringements and DON'T act to block them, there can be some pretty serious legal ramifications.

Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  14:58:14  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not an expert on the laws in the UK, but I know in the US, if it can be proven in a court of law that you knew of copywrite infringements and didn't act to stop them, that can be grounds for invalidation of copywrite. In other words, you don't get to pick and choose which instances it's OK for people to violate your copywrite and which it isn't. Given there's so much copywrite violation that goes on these days, it usually comes down to plausible deniability. I'm sure the BBC try and look the other way as much as possible and pretend they don't know it's going on, but occasionally something comes up that either that can't reasonably deny they know about (established paper trail maybe or it's such a big thing no one would believe they didn't know about it). In this case, they have no real option other than to sue the other party involved or have stuff be taken down on the internet.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Planet Kembel © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2