Planet Kembel
Planet Kembel
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Ian Levine Doctor Who Discussion Forum
 Loose Cannon Reconstructions - Official Forum
 Joint Venture Reconstructions ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  16:44:10  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TelesnapGuy

quote:
Originally posted by Russ

Yes, but that is due to how badly BBCi have cleaned them up and inserted a false telesnap border over them rather than the actual scan being bad.

Nice to have you on here too Robert BTW

Oh sorry, didn't mean to imply that the BBCi scans were poor because of the equipment or anything (although James said they just used a simple desktop scanner), it was more the clean-up work, and like DWM before them, they unaturally darkened all the images to start with as this hid a majority of the blemishes. The tele-snap frame they used did also cut far more of each image than they needed too. In several cases the scans are over cropped because they just didn't straighten the scan out.

Don't take this as me trying to badmouth the BBCi folks either. James once told me that the often only had one afternoon to get some of the scans ready for the web site. It was more a cases of resources and I'm sure Derek can tell you all about how long it takes with some loving care to really get these scans cleaned up.

Cheers,
Robert...........

Well, i have a fair idea :-)

Which was the last recon you saw Robert? I'm curious as to whether yo have seen any of the recent ones or did you lose interest totally when JV stopped?

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

rdevelyn

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  17:08:51  Show Profile Send rdevelyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, Gary Gillat. I thought he was quite a gentleman (took me out for a pizza, anyway, and that sort of thing leaves an impression ).

I don't know where he is now, but he does have my copy of The Smugglers!

It's nice to hear from your, Robert, as well. If you, or anyone else, wants to get in touch personally, go to You must be logged in to see this link. - it's my little blog. Not much on Doctor Who, I'm afraid, it's more about my SW project, but anyway.

One thing I always felt as I worked away on those scans is how much easier it would have been had someone simply wiped the things first before scanning them. I spent so much effort getting rid of these silly stains digitally, when it would have been so much easier to use a cloth!

I actually have never seen a LC reconstruction. That's no comment on LC, it's just that my main interest was in seasons 4 & 5. I really struggled scripting Toymaker, I'm afraid - couldn't get into that story at all.

All the best

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  17:36:42  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdevelyn

Ah yes, Gary Gillat. I thought he was quite a gentleman (took me out for a pizza, anyway, and that sort of thing leaves an impression ).

It's nice to hear from your, Robert, as well. If you, or anyone else, wants to get in touch personally, go to You must be logged in to see this link. - it's my little blog. Not much on Doctor Who, I'm afraid, it's more about my SW project, but anyway.

One thing I always felt as I worked away on those scans is how much easier it would have been had someone simply wiped the things first before scanning them. I spent so much effort getting rid of these silly stains digitally, when it would have been so much easier to use a cloth!

I actually have never seen a LC reconstruction. That's no comment on LC, it's just that my main interest was in seasons 4 & 5. I really struggled scripting Toymaker, I'm afraid - couldn't get into that story at all.

All the best

Richard

Well the LC ones do cover Season 4 and 5 with just a couple left to do (not sure how familiar you are) You must be logged in to see this link. and the latest one we completed was Evil You must be logged in to see this link. If you want a look i would be happy to send you a copy, they are quite differnet to the JV versions and have CGI and other stuff as well as telesnaps to (hopefully) add to the recon rather than the more "bare bones" JV style

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  17:42:34  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd highly recommend you check one of them out, Richard! The Evil of the Dalek recent release is stunning!

"There will always be 97 missing episodes of Doctor Who"
Go to Top of Page

TelesnapGuy

6 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:07:25  Show Profile Send TelesnapGuy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rbrindell

Ahh it was sooo nice to hear from you Robert. I could also write a long reply so we can reminisce about other things or expound on what we have going already, but suffice it to say, it was a pleasure; indeed is a pleasure knowing, liking and respecting you.

I actually forgot that I bought a new VCR to start dubbing for you:) Also I remember walking about in a rain storm with you and Charlie in Central Park in NYC. Ahh, those were the days.

Indeed, those were the good old days (sorry to make everyone else feel so young here). Thanks for your kind words, Rick. If I ever make it back to the NY area I'll look you up. A good dinner over wine and memories sounds like a perfect night.

quote:
Just in case you don't know, I have now taken a back seat to the "new generation" because the tedious work does get old after a while. Needless to say, it was an honor being a part of this worthwhile project.

Now I play guitar to keep busy!

As you know, that's pretty much the same thing Bruce and I did when we backed out. There just seemed like all this new enthusiasm, both from your LC team, and others that it made it a good time to let the next group take over.

quote:
Originally posted by Russ

Well, i have a fair idea :-)

Opps, sorry abut that, Russ. I really don't have any idea who plays what roles in the current LC team. I also should have credited Richard Develyn for the amazing amount of Photoshop work he did on our behalf to clean up the scans.

quote:
Which was the last recon you saw Robert? I'm curious as to whether yo have seen any of the recent ones or did you lose interest totally when JV stopped?

Not entirely, but as we talked about before, each of us has different ideas (even those on the same team) about what makes a good recon. The last LC recon I watched was 'Daleks Master Plan'. I remember being impressed by the composites, and also liking a lot of the little effects like flashing lights. Again, I didn't prefer some of the photo panning, but being totally amazed by some of the CGI, especially the opening of 'Destruction of Time'. One of the over-riding impressions I had was of the amount of research and detail that went into it.

quote:

He now works for a big magazine company editing and writing about soap stars. :)

He also writes the DVD reviews in DWM currently and will hopefully be writing something for Richard Bignell and I on our next NOthing at the End of the Lane special. I'll remind him about 'Smugglers'. Oddly, that's one of the original SVHS' that you sent me that I can't find now eiher.

Cheers,
Robert......

Edited by - TelesnapGuy on 19 Jan 2009 20:10:32
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:43:36  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of the next Nothing at the End of the Lane special, when do you guys expect that to be out?

Go to Top of Page

TelesnapGuy

6 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  21:25:00  Show Profile Send TelesnapGuy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by toxicspurge

Speaking of the next Nothing at the End of the Lane special, when do you guys expect that to be out?

The next thing we're doing is a special project, and not an actual issue. The special should be out in the next couple of months, we're just down to getting some last minute articles and a stunningly beautiful cover.

And, of course, work continues on a third issue, but I can't really put a timeframe on that. Our schedule is more about taking our time to make the best follow-up possible.

Cheers,
Robert........
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  21:48:31  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds awesome! Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  22:14:23  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TelesnapGuy

quote:
quote:

Now I play guitar to keep busy!

As you know, that's pretty much the same thing Bruce and I did when we backed out. There just seemed like all this new enthusiasm, both from your LC team, and others that it made it a good time to let the next group take over.

I sense a pop group!!!

quote:
quote:

Not entirely, but as we talked about before, each of us has different ideas (even those on the same team) about what makes a good recon. The last LC recon I watched was 'Daleks Master Plan'. I remember being impressed by the composites, and also liking a lot of the little effects like flashing lights. Again, I didn't prefer some of the photo panning, but being totally amazed by some of the CGI, especially the opening of 'Destruction of Time'. One of the over-riding impressions I had was of the amount of research and detail that went into it.

You may enjoy the new Evil of the Daleks recon then, that has considerably more CGI! You must be logged in to see this link. and from memory there are only two photo pans in the entire episode, one of them to reveal a character at the correct time and the other the aforementioned end shot which is animated!

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  23:26:10  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, it's awesome!

Go to Top of Page

rdevelyn

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  14:52:32  Show Profile Send rdevelyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Russ, can I take you up on your offer for the Evil LC recon?

How do I contact you with my snail mail address.

Cheers

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  15:20:33  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Russ, can I take you up on your offer for the Evil LC recon?

How do I contact you with my snail mail address.

Cheers

Richard

Send me a PM with it Richard

Ta

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

zeropolis79
Time Traveller

United Kingdom
106 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2013 :  08:56:48  Show Profile  Click to see zeropolis79's MSN Messenger address Send zeropolis79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found this thread by chance:

quote:
Originally posted by rbrindell
Must I mention the scenes where Jamie is drudging through the mine with the Macra following him around? At any rate, I thought of the idea of adding scrolling captions to elaborate such bits and started "A Space In Time" reconstructions (incidentally, this name was from the Ten Years After album that I loved so much). It was a blurry Macra Terror recon but I was proud of it. Not sure if anyone still has a copy of that but I'd be willing to bet someone does. (Patrick Furlong perhaps?)

Yes, I do have a poor quality copy of the "A Space in Time" reconstruction of The Macra Terror.

quote:
Originally posted by rbrindellI remember Paul Cryer's Massacre. I was in steady contact with Paul in those days. I visited his site often. I thought only Patrick and I had copies of that recon:)

I did have a copy of this reconstruction, but my copy was lost, I would love to see it again. I do remember making a copy for a fan in the US.

quote:
Originally posted by RussJV and COI later decided to merge to form Masterplan Productions though nothing was ever released by them (Though i believe a draft version of Marco Polo was produced - i think there are some screencaps from it in NATEOTL 1.

What was shown was from the proposed COI revamp. During research for my reconstruction e-book, I found out draft copies of the MPP recon of Marco still exist.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr DeanI disagree with the Materialising TARDIS recon of the Massacre as being 'an ambitious attempt'. It was crap. When I heard that Paul Cryer was attempting this recon I got the first draft of the first episode for review. I tried to talk Paul through how I thought it should be tackled, with composites and the like, but he just ignored my advice and used the same photos over and over again for 4 episodes with text placeholders for 'difficult' characters such as 'old woman'. It was actually painful to watch and rather than an ambitious attempt it was actually just a great missed opportunity. It could have been revolutionary and the first brilliant creative historical recon. It's easier to nick material for historicals then it is for space stories.

I remember talking to him about the photo issue. I know that for the release version, he used stills from a silent film called Intolerance. I think his version of Mission to the Unknown was better than Massacre. The introduction sequence was mine however. For a first timer, The Massacre was over ambitious.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr DeanThe MPP team didn't respond well to our 'constructive' criticism of draft episodes and I feel took it all rather personally.

I had some harsh comments after the first version of Moonbase I completed, but I feel that constructive criticism can help make a better product. The enhancement I've done looks a lot better than V1.

quote:
Originally posted by RussI must say i have one major disagreement with Richard on how to produce a recon which is displaying telesnaps out of order, in my view a recon is an attempt to convey what was on screen to the people who are watching, now (clips aside) you can't display exactly what was on screen, we simply don't have the available material,

I was reluctant to use a telesnap out of order, although I did repeat a few for a particular close-up. I might have broken the rule when using snaps from Episodes 2 + 4 of Moonbase.

quote:
Originally posted by Richard BignellIt should also be remembered that one of things that caused JV and latterly MPP to reconsider their position was the events surrounding the 1998 prosecution by FACT of Stephen Bennett, who was selling reconstructions (and audios). This brought an uncomfortable focus on the recons and for a time, the JV website was taken down.

I remember this. It was during my final weeks at college and I had just ordered the JV Web of Fear and Michael Palmer's Reign of Terror. I remember e-mailing Robert Franks to ask him if existing orders would still be honored. He said they would. I still have the Reign tape today, copied onto DVD-R.

quote:
Originally posted by RussWell I have VHS copies of Macra and Highlanders so they were released but on a much quieter basis than previous recons,

The first I heard of them was when someone sent me some clips from JV Macra when he sent me an *ahem* copy of Adobe Premiere. I never did see JV versions of Macra and Highlanders..

quote:
Originally posted by TelesnapGuyThe very first early edition had a single still for 'A Space In Time Production' and then goes right into the opening Troughton titles. The opening titles, shown over the eyes have no new captions, and when the descriptive captions scroll across the screen you made the tele-snaps smaller so the captions were under them.

The edit that was distributed had a scrolling (bottom to top) caption for 'A Space In Time Production' and new titles (eg 'The Macra Terror') in black under the original titles on the tele-snaps. The descriptive captions still scrolled from right to left, but now over the tele-snaps, but not with the black background yet.

Going by this description, I have Version 2.

quote:
Originally posted by TelesnapGuyHarry's first episode of 'Master Plan' is probably the hardest for people to watch, but it was a good effort to try something new. Not many people know this, but he produced two versions, but the one with the full script is not commonly circulated.

I got a copy of this version from Harold himself (in 1999/2000 I think). A brave attempt. Pity I've lost the tape.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Planet Kembel © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2