Planet Kembel
Planet Kembel
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Ian Levine Doctor Who Discussion Forum
 Loose Cannon Reconstructions - Official Forum
 Joint Venture Reconstructions ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Welshcarroll

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  10:40:58  Show Profile Send Welshcarroll a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What are these Joint Venture reconstructions ??

Is there a website where you can get them from and which stories have they done ?

Google AdSense

USA
Mountain View

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  11:07:47  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Joint Venture was the group who produced Reconstructions of missing Doctor Who episodes in the old days. Loose Cannon is currently doing Doctor Who recons and they're vast improvements over the JV recons.

I'm not aware of a website where you can get JV recons, although some of the Loose Cannon dubbers still have copies of the JV recons.

I don't know the specifics of what lead to JV's cessation of making recons. I'm sure Russ would know, though.

Welshcarroll, have you looked into the Loose Cannon Recons?

"There will always be 97 missing episodes of Doctor Who"
Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  12:12:52  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The history of JV is all pretty much explained in these newsletters You must be logged in to see this link.

Essentially they were the forerunners/contemporaries of Loose Cannon and made recons of a similar standard for the time, they stopped producing in 2000(ish) and the recons now reflect their age, as do the older Loose Cannon ones

Stories they did (from memory) are

Power
Underwater Menace
Moonbase
Faceless Ones
Evil
Ice Warriors
Web
Fury
Wheel
Macra
Highlanders
(Though the last two were strictly speaking produced by Michael Palmer under the JV banner after the main recons stopped)

Of which LC have yet to produce Evil, Wheel and Web, I would say, with the possible exception of Faceless Ones, the LC versions are superior.

There is no official distribution of them but some LC dubsites have them. Drop me a mail at help@recons.com and i will forward you onto someone with them

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

Welshcarroll

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  12:49:30  Show Profile Send Welshcarroll a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am about to try Loose Cannon for the first time with Reign Of Terror, Crusade and Galaxy 4 for my marathon - missed out on Marco Polo becasue I forgot about the Loose Cannon one, probably because I remembered that it was done before the telesnaps surfaced so I used the narrated soundtrack and the telesnaps printed in Doctor Who Magazine

Are the ones for Web Of Fear and Wheel any good ?? As I know Loose Cannon won't have released them by the time I get to them, although I'm hopeful for Evil to be out by then
Go to Top of Page

Welshcarroll

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  12:51:47  Show Profile Send Welshcarroll a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to the recent Loose Cannon ones such as Fury and Myth Makers which sound amazing from what I've read !!!
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  13:52:29  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Web and Wheel aren't bad. They're better than nothing. But I expect the eventually LC releases to be much better.

Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2008 :  17:10:22  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welshcarroll

quote:

I am about to try Loose Cannon for the first time with Reign Of Terror, Crusade and Galaxy 4 for my marathon - missed out on Marco Polo becasue I forgot about the Loose Cannon one, probably because I remembered that it was done before the telesnaps surfaced so I used the narrated soundtrack and the telesnaps printed in Doctor Who Magazine

Are the ones for Web Of Fear and Wheel any good ?? As I know Loose Cannon won't have released them by the time I get to them, although I'm hopeful for Evil to be out by then

Well, they are of the time, the editing is quite slow IMHO with some telesnaps on screen for a good 45 seconds, but that was normal for the time, the early LC ones are the same, certainly watchable.

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

The Black Guardian
Seasoned Time Traveller

USA
1333 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  18:32:14  Show Profile Send The Black Guardian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Welshcarroll

quote:

The JV recons I highly recommend are The Evil of the Daleks, The Web of Fear, The Wheel in Space.
Go to Top of Page

zeropolis79
Time Traveller

United Kingdom
106 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2008 :  21:53:41  Show Profile  Click to see zeropolis79's MSN Messenger address Send zeropolis79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the JV/COI recons stopped mainly because of personal lives taking precidence over the recon work and IIRC, the sad death of Michael Palmer also put a stop to things, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

TheLazenby
Junior Time Traveller

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  22:23:09  Show Profile  Visit TheLazenby's Homepage  Send TheLazenby an AOL message Send TheLazenby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be thankful LC finished "Evil" - in my opinion, the JV version was AWFUL. Just absolutely awful, and impossible to decipher thanks to the bad telesnaps.

"The Wheel In Space" was pretty well done, though. (I don't remember what The Web Of Fear was like, unfortunately.)

CRAG AN TUIRE!! *stab*
Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2009 :  23:36:15  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheLazenby

Be thankful LC finished "Evil" - in my opinion, the JV version was AWFUL. Just absolutely awful, and impossible to decipher thanks to the bad telesnaps.

"The Wheel In Space" was pretty well done, though. (I don't remember what The Web Of Fear was like, unfortunately.)

I would say the JV version was simply a slave of being the JV version, i.e. almost totally reliant on telesnaps, Evil must be the worst represented story by it's telesnaps, ergo any recon relying on them tends to struggle rather, as illustrated by the amount of extra work we had to do.

I have a theory John Cura has the trots or something when Evil was on and kept going to the toilet for 2 minutes....

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  12:37:40  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LMAO! That should be a feature on one of your recons!

John Cura: Behind the Scenes!

LMFAO!

Go to Top of Page

rbrindell

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  23:39:26  Show Profile Send rbrindell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I was one of Robert Frank's/Bruce Robinson's original dub sites in the old days in the US when there was only JV/COI. The recons were very basic in those days but served as a platform to what LC does today.

I decided to start LC back in the day (seems like 1996 if I recall rightly) because I felt like the action that was occurring in the story without any noticable soundtrack was not addressed and therefore left big holes in the story while viewing. Must I mention the scenes where Jamie is drudging through the mine with the Macra following him around? At any rate, I thought of the idea of adding scrolling captions to elaborate such bits and started "A Space In Time" reconstructions (incidentally, this name was from the Ten Years After album that I loved so much). It was a blurry Macra Terror recon but I was proud of it. NOt sure if anyone still has a copy of that but I'd be willing to bet someone does. (Patrick Furlong perhaps?)

Anyway, after Macra I released Faceless Ones, another fairly blurry recon with scrolling captions. If I recall correctly the JV guys were pretty pissed off at me because I produced and released them so fast. IN fact my friend Craig Fuqua from Texas told me I was being viewed by the JV guys as a "loose cannon" and I loved that name, so I adopted it and had my daughter Karen draw up the LC logo you have seen for years on each release.

Eventually I wanted to continue my efforts and since the JV had tackled most of the telesnapped serials at this point I decided to try my hand at Myth Makers. Dean and Derek, who were good mates, were chosen to be the official UK dub site for that recon when it was released by the JV team. They were quite intrigued to hear how I planned to pull that off with only 7 remaining publicity photos. To be honest, I hadn't a clue but I loved the story so I decided I would use mainly screen grabs from other period DR Who serials like the Romans for example and supplement it with screen shots from other Trojan movies.

Little did I realize the fortunate circumstances that were occurring. Derek knew where the original Trojan Horse prop was and asked if I wanted shots of it. Was I stupid enough to say NO! Of course not, so I said "absolutely".

That was the beginning of a great partnership that lasted several years and now has been passed down to a new generation, of which I am very proud, I might have mentioned that before on this board.

So there you go.

Rockin' Ricky Brindell (don't foget to check out my you tube vids - new one - Serpent of Dreams.
You must be logged in to see this link.)

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2009 :  23:47:32  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
IN fact my friend Craig Fuqua from Texas told me I was being viewed by the JV guys as a "loose cannon" and I loved that name, so I adopted it and had my daughter Karen draw up the LC logo you have seen for years on each release.

There you go, Mr toxicspurge, the answer to your oft asked question which i wouldn't tell you!

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  00:27:03  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify a bit here, At that time each dubsite was assigned a specific story rather than the current system, and also the recons available when Rick started Macra were the Richard Develyn/Robert Franks one rather than the JV ones, these were pre-JV which had telesnaps scanned from DWM and no captions or anything else other than the telesnap to enhance the story. At the time quite revolutionary but rather dated now

Rick, you say Derek was chosen to distribute Myth when it was released by JV, would JV have done Myth Makers? I recall Toymaker was scheduled for a long while (but never completed) but i would imagine Myth would be an unlikely recon for them at that stage?

From what I understand the JV recon was more or less ready to go at the time you released Faceless Ones, I think it was a case of they had better access to the telesnaps but held off with FO until they were officially printed in DWM but you were that quick you actually scanned them from DWM and beat them to release (though the JV version would have had better quality telesnaps) and rather stole the thunder.

I think it's telling that the stories released after FO were (pretty much) non telesnap ones, at that time Myth Makers was considered impossible to produce as a recon, as Rick says there were only 7 photos existing and, in my view, the reason Loose Cannon is still here today is the decision not to compete head on with the JV team,who had access to better quality scans of the telesnaps but to go for the trickier non telesnap stories, Myth Makers, Tenth Planet in telesnaps (JV never produced a telesnap version of this as the late Michael Palmer of the JV team produced a version which consisted mostly of clips, it was a "love or hate" recon, very similar to a badly dubbed Asian movie!) and Space Pirates, which contained mostly screencaps from episode 2 and the few photos of Pirates and space ships but, again, considered nigh on impossible at that time.

The only non telesnap stories released at that point by anyone were Michael Palmer's versions of Reign of Terror (mostly screen caps from existing episodes), Tenth Planet (badly dubbed movie as mentioned), Invasion (screen caps from existing episodes again) and Mission to the Unknown, which was probably the forerunner of most modern non telesnap recons at it consisted of clips from elsewhere and photoshopped (or whatever it was available at that time, PhotoDeluxe?) shots of Cory, Garvey and Lowery, plus the existing photos. None of which had the paucity of source material of SP or Myth with so few options and so much time to fill, also remember with the software available then, composite pictures were far less convincing and, therefore, much less used

By that time Loose Cannon was established as a producer of good quality recons as well as JV and COI and was able to move forward.

Rick, i'm sure any more memories would be appreciated, by toxicspurge and I if no-one else!

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  00:49:33  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed! I find all of this history/back story fascinating!

Go to Top of Page

Pip
Time Traveller

Canada
757 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  02:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Pip's Homepage Send Pip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I think Rick's memories are fascinating, and really deserve to be put up on the LC website, along with anything more he wants to add!

When talking about the non-telesnap stories which were done, let's not forget the Materialising TARDIS version of The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve, which must have come out around the time LC did The Savages and The Smugglers in 1998 - it was certainly a very ambitious attempt at the story at the time!

Now, does anyone remember the 'Three Doctors' website, which seemed to act as a hub for recon information and the like back in the late 90's - I remember checking it frequesntly for new recon information back in the day when you'd get new news all the time when you had JV, COI and LC all releasing stuff seemingly all the time!

And of course there's the perennial favourite of The Disused Yeti - certainly I think it deserves to be relaunched in some form!
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  02:27:45  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What exactly what The Disused Yeti?

Go to Top of Page

Pip
Time Traveller

Canada
757 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  02:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Pip's Homepage Send Pip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

The Disused Yeti - The Newsletter on Early Doctor Who.

Go there, and prepare to lose what's left of your evening reading it
Go to Top of Page

rbrindell

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  03:07:18  Show Profile Send rbrindell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russ

Rick, you say Derek was chosen to distribute Myth when it was released by JV, would JV have done Myth Makers?

Actually Russ, I should clarify this by saying JV never intended to produce Myth Makers, however, in the very early LC days my releases were also provided to the fans via the JV/COI dub sites. LC set up its own distribtion network shortly thereafter.

As you mentioned, (in the UK) each new release was provided by "exclusive" dub site(s). Dean/Derek were assigned Myth Makers.

Go to Top of Page

rbrindell

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  03:51:03  Show Profile Send rbrindell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, people really want to hear this stuff, eh?

I remember Paul Cryer's Massacre. I was in steady contact with Paul in those days. I visited his site often. I thought only Patrick and I had copies of that recon:)

In the early days before the organized distribution network, the only way you could find out when a new release was available was by an email from the dub site. As I mentioned earlier, Robert Franks asked that I become one of his dub sites in the US. He was the main US producer and I was one of a # of dubbers (20-25 I would think).

I'm pretty sure Robert and I met at a convention around 1994 where he was running the video room, playing a very early recon, can't remember which one. But this is where I saw them for the first time.

Also I remember that Robert had very good contacts and could get bootleg copies of the remaining episodes that no one ever thought would be released, like TP4, Ice Warriors, etc. I was so excited but they were probably 100 generations down and you could barely make them out. It didn't matter though.

Robert was pretty friendly with Charlie Daniels from California and they both came to NY to visit me in 95/96. Charlie has moved to the UK a few years ago. I really liked him. Very nice guy. Funny too.

Robert was from Ohio but has moved around, last I heard Minnesota but that was years ago. I always saw him at the cons which I quit going to a few years back. I don't think he ever really liked me. I'm too "9 to 5" to fit in.

I think Robert and Charlie had problems and stopped talking eventually, but then again this was a long time ago. Water under the bridge.

With the help of Derek and Dean and their never ending resources, we were able to produce high level productions. I think its fair to say that the JV/COI guys just thought I would go away after the "Macra Affair" but that didn't happen. As Russ has mentioned, I was ready to move ahead and since I never expected to get better scans than what I had in DW magazine, I produced and released FO very quickly and really pissed those guys off. It was never said, but its the truth. OK, I can be impulsive too, but hey, what the hell, you wanted to see this stuff right?

I self-taught myself everything I knew about video editing. I knew nothing; I bought a video capture card; came with Ulead Media Studio and off I went. Macra was born. I remember that when I finally got good at the editing program, I could complete an entire 25 minute episode in one evening (earlier versions only of course, they became much more complicated later on).

Once I started working with Derek and Dean things became interesting. When I would finish an episode I would send it to Dean/Derek for review.

The first thing they would do is correct all my spelling, gramatical and "American" mistakes. No American can speak or write, right Dean?

I would write "travelers" he would correct me to "travellers". An infinite amount of spelling corrections.

Dean was very tough and would rip my work to shreds. I felt about a foot (sorry meter) tall after one of his scathing emails. I really thought he liked me until he chopped my legs off with every review.

Ahh the good old days...Reminiscing... Now I'm all depressed. Good night.

Go to Top of Page

Frankymole
Time Traveller

173 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  05:55:50  Show Profile Send Frankymole a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fascinating and wonderful, the early days of a great achievement... this stuff should definitely be on the LC website as a history. For posterity! It's the ethos of reconstruction...
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  13:45:52  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely think all this should be posted on the LC site so we can have it archived for posterity!

Go to Top of Page

rbrindell

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  15:07:27  Show Profile Send rbrindell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bruce Robinson was the guy responsible for the COI (Change of Identity) recons and he was from Australia for those of you who don't know. In the early days, he was producing telesnapped stories on his own. I recall he did an early version of Enemy of the World actually along with the Abominable Snowmen which is what put him on the map. As COI was producing recons very similar to the ones being produced by others they decided to form Joint Venture (JV).

Bruce was a very nice guy and came to visit me back in 1998 or so. He flew in for a convention in California where he met Robert and his mates. I believe they took a drive to Las Vegas after that for a couple of days. After which Bruce flew into New York to visit me. He stayed with me for a few days in February of that year. He was a fine house guest. I recall he was amazed that the trees had no leaves on them because it was winter. He was from a temperate climate and never saw trees that had lost their leaves for the winter.

He really wanted to go to an American sporting event, so I took him to a NY Knick basketball game at Madison Square Garden. I am not a fan of basketball myself but since football (that's right the proper American kind - I know I will take heat for that remark:) had ended and Baseball had yet to begin, I was left with no choice, except for ice hockey and like that even less than basketball. He was impressed by the size of the hot dogs at the Garden.

He lasted a couple more years doing the recons, but I believe he lost interest in the recons eventually, and decided to quit producing them.

Just a few more random thoughts.

Rockin' Ricky
Go to Top of Page

toxicspurge
Rassilons Bitch

USA
13439 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  15:15:25  Show Profile Send toxicspurge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any idea what Bruce is doing these days, Ricky?

Go to Top of Page

Russ
Head Administrator

United Kingdom
3588 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  15:44:10  Show Profile Send Russ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to correct Rick's memory slightly, JV was Michael Palmer, Robert Franks and Richard Develyn (with our own Mr Biggins doing some stuff, mostly in the form of his excellent Fury doco). JV and COI later decided to merge to form Masterplan Productions though nothing was ever released by them (Though i believe a draft version of Marco Polo was produced - i think there are some screencaps from it in NATEOTL 1.

MPP fell through AIUI because the people involved got fed up with doing the recons (and probably the harrasment of people moaning about missed deadlines etc - one of the reasons LC never announce release dates) but Michael Palmer released a couple more recons (Macra and Highlanders IIRC) under the JV banner before he sadly passed away

www.recons.com
Go to Top of Page

dhandley
Administrator

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  16:14:32  Show Profile Send dhandley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another slight corection: The first two COI recons were The Savages and Power of the Daleks, followed by Marco Polo. Enemy and Snowmen came much later on I think.

Derek
Go to Top of Page

rbrindell

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  16:56:29  Show Profile Send rbrindell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Derek, you prove that slightly younger brain cells make for more accurate information:)
Go to Top of Page

rbrindell

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  17:07:45  Show Profile Send rbrindell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by toxicspurge

Any idea what Bruce is doing these days, Ricky?

I haven't heard from Bruce in years, but I hope he has settled down with a beautiful wife and has a few little Bruces running around:)
Go to Top of Page

Pip
Time Traveller

Canada
757 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2009 :  17:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Pip's Homepage Send Pip a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rbrindell
I remember Paul Cryer's Massacre. I was in steady contact with Paul in those days. I visited his site often. I thought only Patrick and I had copies of that recon:)

Well, it was certainly available by the guy who I used to get the LC recons from - Andrew Barrett I believe his name was :)

The one unique thing I remember about the MPP recons was that they were going to do 2 versions of every story - one with subtitles for everything in the COI style, and the other with just captions where necessary in the JV (and now LC) style.

However, prior to the MPP plan, I remember Bruce announcing the next COI recons would have been The Crusade (I think this was planned as COI6, however the discovery of The Lion put it on hold and The Abominable Snowmen came out instead) and The Daleks' Master Plan Part I, with the first 6 episodes of the story.
Go to Top of Page

Dr Dean

2 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  14:28:54  Show Profile Send Dr Dean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rick, nice to see you on the board. Whilst we are down memory lane....

I disagree with the Materialising TARDIS recon of the Massacre as being 'an ambitious attempt'. It was crap. When I heard that Paul Cryer was attempting this recon I got the first draft of the first episode for review. I tried to talk Paul through how I thought it should be tackled, with composites and the like, but he just ignored my advice and used the same photos over and over again for 4 episodes with text placeholders for 'difficult' characters such as 'old woman'. It was actually painful to watch and rather than an ambitious attempt it was actually just a great missed opportunity. It could have been revolutionary and the first brilliant creative historical recon. It's easier to nick material for historicals then it is for space stories.

My memory of Master Plan Productions are not that the makers lost interest. It was mainly because we didn't /couldn't agree with the way we wanted recons making. The JV approach was very much telesnaps in place minimum or no captions. No telesnaps out of place. Whereas Derek and I wanted to tell the story as best as possible. Whether this be with material from other sources, making stuff ourselves or composites. Also the most frustrating thing for us was that the editing was out of our hands and we found progress very slow.

Rick, Derek, myself (and now Russ) believe that thorough reviews can be scathing but ultimately produce a better recon. A good minute by minute critical review is better feedback than just 'yeah, looks ok to me'. The MPP team didn't respond well to our 'constructive' criticism of draft episodes and I feel took it all rather personally. I recall a few comments about naff composites (and they were naff, such as mongolian's with flat heads) or comments about the need for extra captions didn't go down well.

I also recall that I was tasked to ask my wife (an artist) to produce the map of China which would be used for the route throughout the story. Lo and behold, a week after the request for the map it was now my fault that the recon was delayed as they were wating for the map which was holding everything up(!?!) The team got their map a week after this but things still didn't move very much.

It was then one evening when I was playing with Photoshop that I stumbled across the ability to colour in photos and produced a good coloured image from a black and white photo of Tegana emptying his water gourd. Derek was really pleased with the result and we suggested the idea of making a colour Marco Polo. The suggestion went down like a lead balloon with the MPP team so Derek and I decided to make our own colour version 'in parallel'. If I recall Derek was off work at this time and so was able to dedicate a lot of time to the recon. It was also his favourite story which helped. The pair of us spent months colouring hundreds of Marco photos. Derek also started editing while I continued with the colouring in. I can't remember how many months the project took but we ended up being ready to release our version while the MPP version was still not finished.

One annoying aspect about Marco was that Robert Frank didn't want us to use the Mark Eden voiceover footage as this was for THEIR version. The funny thing was that it was thanks to me that Mark Eden had arranged to be interviewed by Richard Bignell for his documentary, and this footage had been recorded during this meeting. Luckily once the colour recon was finished Derek and I went to visit Mark Eden to show him the recon and to re-record a different intro with a voiceover and him in costume which produced the memorable intro that we used in the LC version.

From our experiences with the MPP team and Marco Polo it was obvious to us that Master Plan Productions was never realistically going to produce a recon of Dalek's Master Plan (for which the team was originally created - hence the name). So we pushed ahead with this mammoth project on our own.

For info, Master Plan was my first editing work. Derek and I shared this work fairly evenly and we met in the middle. From memory I started making composites with the Massacre recon (providing images to Rick as they were finished). I think the last recon which Rick fully edited was Invasion. But that said Rick did provide drafts for many of the later recons which were redited when we moved to a later version of Mediastudio, our editing software.

Cheers
Dean
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Planet Kembel © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2